.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Essay --

It was my first time leaving the country, and I was excited. The summer of Saudi was hot, and I couldn’t stop thinking about going away for the first time. My family and friends were helping me pack the last of my luggage, and I was on my way to the airport. As I made my way through the gates and into the plane, I could never imagine the experiences that were to come. It all started with my airport and Canadian immigration services, then meeting my host family and the people of Canada, and last but not least the school experience. As I left Saudi Arabia, it was a bittersweet feeling. I left from Riyadh to Vancouver via London. My experience at the airport in London for the first time was very difficult. So when I was in Riyadh airport, my father and mother gave me advice to study hard and be a good student. All my friends were with me to say their final good byes because it was my first time leaving alone. Before I got on the plane, I met a new friend who I didn’t even know would end up at the same university as me in Canada. It’s a small world because I did not expect this. We became good friends and our friendship continues until today. When I arrived at Heathrow airport in London, I felt this empty feeling, like I was missing something already. My mind started to go blank and the little English that I knew, I forgot. So it was very difficult for me to talk to any airport staff and ask them where I should go. Then I became nervous because I didn’t know what to do. I w as praying that somebody would be able to help me. Suddenly, I found a guy who looked like an Arab and I approached him to ask him for his help. I found out he was Egyptian. He was very kind to me and was able to guide me to my terminal a... ...tely, my test was not very good so I was put in the beginners level. I struggled at the beginning, but as time went on, I became more comfortable and started speaking little by little. The more I spoke, the better my communication in English became. One year passed and I became comfortable in the city, with my host family, and new international friends, all because I spoke better English. My experience of leaving Saudi Arabia has made me a better person. Of course at the beginning it was very difficult, but I’m glad now that I was able to get a scholarship to study in Canada and learn English. Maybe if I didn’t get this opportunity, I would not have met the people I met and become friends with them. The best thing I can say about leaving my country is that now I have friends from all over the world and I would not change anything for that experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment